Over the past year, Australia has experienced a new era of federal climate action, with the Australian Labor Party (ALP) beginning to implement its election commitments. The Climate Council has been pushing hard to strengthen each policy and to build momentum for stronger future action.
But recently, we’ve seen coal mine approvals, the go-ahead for fracking in the Northern Territory, and not enough money in the budget for climate action. And despite hard-fought progress, the changes locked into our climate system due to decades of delay, of which Australia has been a large contributor, place our communities, ecosystems and species at risk. We need to act faster.
Catch up on this discussion with Senator David Pocock, Dr Jennifer Rayner and Dr Simon Bradshaw, facilitated by Climate Council CEO, Amanda McKenzie.
Resources and Further Reading
- #Calltime on fossil fuel sponsorship in Australia: find out how organisations can remove fossil fuel sponsorship from sports, arts and events here.
- Read our new report, Shifting Gear: A Path to Cleaner Transport to learn more about how we need to fundamentally transform our transport system to cut emissions and ensure everyone can get around easily and safely.
- Unpack the Federal Budget and learn what’s in it for climate: Check out our Federal Budget Explainer
- The ongoing emotional toll of climate change is affecting Australians’ mental health. We have compiled some resources for you if you need support
- Learn more about Climate Council initiative, Emergency Leaders for Climate Action, a cohort of former fire and emergency service leaders with many years of combined experience and diverse expertise, supported by the Climate Council.
- Learn more about the Climate Council’s Cities Power Partnership, which is giving local governments the tools, the connections and the momentum to capitalise on the global shift to a clean economy.
Want to take action?
- Take the pledge to get gas out of your home – whether you’re a home-owner or a renter; can switch out just one gas appliance; or will need to do so over time, your choices are powerful.
- Learn how to call or write an effective letter to your MP with our helpful guide
These inspiring events are made possible by the Climate Council community. Power forward momentum for ambitious, urgent climate action by contributing a tax deductible donation today.