Gifts in Wills | Frequently Asked Questions

22.08.22 By
This content is more than one year old

Your Will is powerful. It can ensure your estate is divided the way you intend, and create a lasting impact on the lives of your loved ones and the world they live in, long into the future. 

How do I write a Will?

We recommended seeking professional legal advice when writing or updating your Will to help ensure your intentions are realised and distributions to your beneficiaries are maximised. 

Having your Will written by a lawyer shouldn’t be expensive and will provide you with peace of mind knowing your wishes are more likely to be upheld. If you need a lawyer, reach out to your state or territory Law society and they can refer you. 

The Law Society of NSW, (02) 9926 0333

The Law Institute of Victoria, (03) 9607 9311

The Queensland Law Society, 1300 367 757

The Law Society of South Australia, (08) 8229 0222

The Law Society of Western Australia, (08) 9342 8600

The Law Society of Tasmania, (03) 6234 4133

The ACT Law Society, (02) 6274 0300

The Law Society Northern Territory, (08) 8981 5104

If I already have a Will, how do I update it? 

To update your Will with a gift to the Climate Council, simply contact your lawyer and request a modification or amendment to your previously executed Will. They will prepare a codicil, a legal document that reflects your updated wishes.

You can include a gift to the Climate Council through a codicil without having to re-write your Will. It is important to seek professional legal advice when updating your Will to ensure it is valid – never change your Will by crossing out existing information.

What type of gift can I leave in my Will? 

A Residual Gift – Leaves the whole, or a percentage of, your remaining (residue) estate after all provisions have been made for your loved ones, and expenses have been paid. This is a practical way to give and allows for inflation, thus not decreasing in value over time.

A Percentage Gift – Leaves a percentage or nominated portion of your whole estate. For example you can divide your estate between a number of people or charities. This is another way to give that means you do not have to adjust the value of your gift to account for inflation or changes to your total assets.

A Fixed Amount – Leaves a specific sum. This type of gift may need to be changed over the years to account for inflation and changes to your circumstances. It is likely to decrease in value over time.

If you would like to discuss leaving another type of gift to the Climate Council, please get in touch.

What is the best gift to leave in my Will?

A residual or percentage gift are the best to leave the Climate Council. This is because both are automatically adjusted for inflation, and therefore do not decrease over time.

They are also the most flexible ways to give, as they do not require updating to account for changes to your total assets. A residual gift is particularly good because it enables you to look after your loved ones first and foremost. 

How can I make a gift and still take care of my loved ones?

The residue or percentage residue of your estate is a gift that enables you to support the Climate Council after you have taken care of your loved ones.

It is the remainder of your estate after specific gifts or sums have been made and expenses have been paid. It’s a simple way to ensure your loved ones are looked after first and foremost.

How do I make sure my wishes are upheld?

Having your Will written by a lawyer is the best way to ensure your wishes are upheld. However, discussing your intentions with your loved ones can help prevent disputes when your Will comes into effect. 

Some people are fearful of having these conversations, but they can be lighthearted, open and practical. Sharing a story or context for your decisions can provide clarity and prevent leaving behind a big problem for your loved ones. The earlier you do this the better.

How will the Climate Council use my gift? 

Your gift will enable the Climate Council to deliver work that creates a healthier, fairer and more sustainable future for generations to come. Powering the smartest opportunities to make a lasting difference, your gift will:

What is the correct legal name, ABN, address and DGR status of the Climate Council?

Climate Council of Australia Limited, ABN 52 165 914 303, at 8 Short St Surry Hills NSW 2010. The Climate Council holds Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) Status and as is fully Tax Exempt.

Should I tell the Climate Council about my intentions? 

If you decide to leave a gift to the Climate Council in your Will, please let us know so we can thank you and plan ahead to make an even bigger impact. We would also love to welcome you into the Climate Council Legacy Circle where you’ll be invited to exclusive events and trips, receive an annual summary of our impact, and more.

Who can I contact for more information?

To discuss the impact you hope to achieve with a gift in your Will, you can contact our Planned Giving Coordinator on 02 9356 8531, or email

Additional Resources

The Climate Council’s Annual Report outlines our strategic projects and interventions and the impact of our work.
Learn about the impact your gift can have on climate action and future generations.