Emergency Leaders for Climate Action (ELCA) is a project of the Climate Council. The group, a growing coalition of 37 former senior fire and emergency services leaders formed to communicate the seriousness of the climate change threat, call for government action on emissions and push for the necessary resources to better prepare fire and emergency services for increasingly frequent and damaging extreme weather events.
Following the 2022 flood disaster in NSW and QLD, ELCA launched a public statement, published a full page newspaper ad, and held a press conference to highlight the lack of national preparedness for extreme weather events, which are being supercharged by accelerated climate change.
Check out some of the media coverage we’ve generated below.
Read the full public statement on the ELCA website
Emergency Leaders for Climate Action took out a full-page ad in the Courier Mail, 14 March, 2022
Shaping the national climate story during extreme weather events is one of the important ways we push for urgent action to reduce emissions, to better prepare our emergency services, and better protect our communities from climate-fuelled disasters. We are proudly independent, and community-funded. Can you chip in a donation today, to boost our efforts and keep climate change at the centre of the national conversation?
- The Guardian: Emergency Chiefs slam coalition’s fumbling response to floods
- ABC News: Morrison government blasted for ‘bungling’ eastern Australian flood disaster after refusing to heed warnings
- Canberra Times: Floods ‘Black Summer all over again’
- New Daily: Former emergency services chiefs slam govt after floods warning
- 7 News: Floods ‘Black Summer all over again‘
- RenewEconomy: Emergency services chiefs call out Morrison’s failure on climate
- The Age/Sydney Morning Herald: NSW, Queensland floods royal commission being ignored: experts
Emergency Leaders for Climate Action Press Conference, March 14 2022:
Greg Mullins on ABC 7:30,
March 14 2022:
Major General Peter Dunn on the Today Show, March 15 2022:
Greg Mullins on RN Drive, March 14, 2022:
Chas Keys on Sunrise, March 14 2022:
Calling out the Federal Government’s flood response, responding quickly in the media, holding press conferences, and publishing full page ads – these strategic actions are only possible with the support of our community. We are proudly independent, and community-funded. Can you chip in a donation today, to boost our efforts and keep climate change at the centre of the national conversation?