First Nations people in Australia have cared for this country for millennia, yet are being disproportionately affected by climate change.
We convened an incredible panel to explore how First Nations people are leading the fight for climate justice in Australia, and unpack why First Nations solutions must be front and centre in Australia’s response to extreme weather.
This panel is led entirely by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander speakers, including:
- Tishiko King, Community Organiser from Seed Indigenous Youth Climate Network and a proud Kulkalaig woman from the Island of Masig, Kulkalgal Tribe of Zenadth Kes
- Bhiamie Williamson, Research Associate and PhD Candidate at the Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, Australian National University, and Euahlayi man from north-west New South Wales
- Mibu Fischer, Quandamooka saltwater scientist exploring how Traditional Knowledge (science) and management practices can improve modern day fisheries, coastal and conservation management.
- And facilitated by Rae Johnston, multi-award winning journalist, producer, editor and proud Wiradjuri woman from Dharug and Gundungurra Country in Western Sydney.
As Australia prepares for more extreme weather events in the future, we must lift up Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander voices and invest in First Nations knowledge and leadership, to better protect our land, water, Country, and communities.
- How to be a good Indigenous ally | SBS/NITV News
- How to be an ally to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people | Reachout.com
- Ultimate list of things to do to support Aboriginal culture | Creative Spirits
- How to be an Indigenous Ally | Reconciliation NSW
Supporting First Nations climate justice
- Seed | Seed is Australia’s first Indigenous youth climate network. We are building a movement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people for climate justice with the Australian Youth Climate Coalition.
- Our Islands Our Home | Our Islands Our Home is a campaign led by Torres Strait Islanders to protect their island homes.