The Victorian Budget will be announced on the 24th November. The Andrews Government has a chance to get Victorians back to work by making smart investments that create jobs and tackle climate change.
Read our joint statement, signed by key community service organisations, peak bodies, local governments, and climate and energy groups, then add your name today to strengthen our push for clean jobs in Victoria.
JOINT STATEMENT TO THE VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT
Victoria, we’re ready to get you back to work.
Victoria is facing twin crises. Communities are struggling to rebuild from climate-fuelled disasters like bushfires, and in the wake of COVID-19 Victoria has faced devastatingly high unemployment.
We can turn things around. With smart investments, the Victorian Government can create thousands of good jobs now that also solve long-term problems, like climate change.
By upgrading our housing, increasing renewable energy, restoring our landscapes and electrifying our transport systems we will create win/win solutions that get Victorians back to work and reduce the risk of future shocks to our economy.
We are calling on the Victorian Government to implement the Clean Jobs Plan, which aligns with the Government’s climate and energy jobs commitment, and will create up to 20,000 direct jobs across the state.
An important step should be investing in energy efficiency, which will lower power bills, improve the health of Victorians and generate thousands of direct jobs. Vulnerable Victorians have been particularly affected this year. Energy efficiency investment and targeted subsidies should be prioritised for people on lower incomes and who are renting.
In this upcoming budget, we ask the Government to boost Victoria’s clean recovery by:
- Expanding the Solar Homes program to include energy efficiency upgrades, including replacing gas hot water and gas ducted heating systems with electric heat pumps and reverse cycle air-conditioners; draught-sealing and glazing of windows; and insulation.
- Major funding to upgrade public housing and community housing to make it warm in winter, cool in summer, deliver health benefits and save energy.
- Introducing a new Victorian Energy Upgrades schedule to incentivise the replacement of gas hot water systems and gas ducted heating systems with electric heat pumps and reverse cycle air-conditioners.
- Amending the Victorian Building Authority minimum 6-star energy provisions to include heat pumps as acceptable.
- Investing in energy efficiency skills and training programs to build the capacity of the industry in preparation for an expansion of the energy efficiency industry, coupled with a rigorous auditing and compliance regime.
- Provide sufficient funding for the Greener Government Building Program to roll out energy efficiency upgrades for all public hospitals, schools and other public buildings.
Let’s get to work.
ADD YOUR NAME NOW
Download the full joint statement here
Add your name to support the statement
It’s time to get Victoria back to work, with smart investments that will create thousands of good jobs for Victorians and tackle climate change.