In our first online book club, we were be joined by Amanda McKenzie and Tim Flannery to discuss the book ‘The Future We Choose’, by Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac on Wednesday, April 15 at 6:00 PM.
Find a recording of the book club and lots of other resources below.
‘The Future We Choose’, by Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac.
Speakers: Amanda McKenzie and Tim Flannery
When: Wednesday, April 15 at 6:00 PM
Book Club Recording
A Special Message from Christiana Figueres:
About the Book: ‘The Future We Choose’
Christiana Figueres was head of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Tom Rivett-Carnac was a senior political strategist. Both were instrumental leaders negotiating the historic global Paris Agreement. As the authors say in their introduction:
“Whether you are complacent about climate change, or in pain, or angry, this book is an invitation for you to take part in creating the future of humanity, confident that despite the seemingly daunting nature of the challenge, collectively we have what it takes to address climate change now.”
The book challenges us to choose between two possible scenarios for our planet – one where we meet the Paris Agreement, and one where we fail to – building a compelling case to tackle the climate crisis head-on with hope and determination.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not leave your home to travel to a book store, or the library. We recommend downloading the e-book here.
Don’t worry if you can’t get the book, or don’t finish reading it! We’ve also compiled a list of reading resources to get you up to speed, so you can still join in the conversation.
Check out our list of reviews and articles below, and coming soon, an exclusive extract from the book!
- Extract from ‘The Future We Choose’ – Chapter 5, Stubborn Optimism. This is an edited extract from The Future We Choose by Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac.
- Christiana Figueres on the climate emergency: ‘This is the decade and we are the generation’ – Guardian Review of ‘The Future We Choose’,
- “Be honest Australia – You’re not meeting and beating your targets” by Christiana Figueres, Opinion, Sydney Morning Herald, March 9 2020
- Book Review: A Self-Help Guide to Surviving the Climate Crisis – Undark Magazine
Next up in Book Club:
If you want to get a head start on reading what’s coming up, the first 5 books and films we’ll be discussing are listed below. We’ll be sharing more resources on these books (and films!) as we approach. As always, to save paper and avoid leaving your house, or long delivery times, we recommend downloading the e-book!
- 6 May – On Hope, by Daisy Jeffrey
- 27 May – Sunlight and Seaweed by Tim Flannery
- 17 Jun – Our House is on Fire by Greta Thunberg, Svante Thunberg, Beata & Malena Ernman.
- 8 July – 2040, a documentary film
*Please note, order and dates may be subject to change