This article is more than 5 years old
TOP 5 QUESTIONS AUSTRALIANS NEED ANSWERED ABOUT THE NATIONAL ENERGY GUARANTEE
- How will the NEG reduce pollution from the electricity sector, and achieve Australia’s
2030 emission reduction targets, given it delivers more coal and gas than ‘business as
- How will the NEG reduce power prices given it fails to tackle solutions to rising prices
identified by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)? Solutions
highlighted by the ACCC included addressing the market power of the big 3 energy
companies, affordability of gas, bringing online large-scale renewable energy, and
support for consumers.
- How will the NEG address reliability given it fails to deal with key reliability issues raised
by the Australian Energy Market Operator – outages or failures of ageing coal generators
across the National Energy Market, and the increased vulnerability of the electricity
system to extreme weather, particularly heatwaves?
- How will the NEG address reliability given it fails to ensure sufficient new renewable
energy capacity is brought online well in advance of inevitable coal closures?
- How will the NEG achieve certainty for investors given the complete lack of detail and /
or modelling underpinning the proposal, the complete lack of community engagement or
consultation with key stakeholders (the states and territories), and the provision to review
the Emissions Guarantee every year (essentially locking in investment uncertainty for the