Denman Prospect will be Australia’s first suburb to require solar panels on every home, with each house to have a minimum 3kW system.
Around 4,200 homes are expected to be constructed in the western Canberra suburb, with each solar system generating approximately 4,146kW of clean electricity annually; avoiding emissions of approximately 3.7 tonnes a year.
More than 1.4 million households in Australia already have rooftop solar, with a 15% penetration rate across all Australian households, jumping up to more than 60% in some areas.
Top 10 Postcodes for Solar PV penetration
- 5117 Angle Vale SA 65%
- 6437 Leinster, Sir Samuel WA 65%
- 2769 The Ponds NSW 64%
- 4516 Elimbah QLD 58%
- 6171 Baldivis WA 57%
- 3978 Cardinia, Clyde, Clyde North Vic 57%
- 5235 Cromer, Edin Valley, Flaxman Valley, Mount Pleasant, Springton, Taunton SA 53%
- 5120 Buckland Park, Virginia SA 53%
- 5480 Appila, Laura, Stone Hut SA 52%
- 4511 Godwin Beach, Ningi, Sandstone Point QLD 51%
Denmark Prospect will be the first suburb with 100% solar penetration, setting a new solar standard for Australian homes.
It’s not the first time Canberra has proven itself to be a renewable energy trailblazer, with the ACT recently committing to a goal of 100% renewable energy by 2025. Go Canberra!
IMAGE CREDIT: FLICKR USER WAYNENF LICENSED UNDER CC BY 2.0