A quiet energy revolution has been taking place in Australia. It’s built on the growth of solar power, especially rooftop photovoltaic (PV) solar systems. In just five years, the number of Australian solar PV systems went from 8,000 to 1,000,000 with ordinary Australians driving the change. It’s a revolution nobody saw coming. This report identifies the enormous, but largely under-utilised, potential for solar generation in the world’s sunniest continent.
Five Key Facts
- Solar photovoltaic (PV) systems have become more and more affordable. As prices have fallen, ordinary Australians have been quietly driving a solar revolution.
- Australia’s solar industry is growing rapidly, exceeding all expectations and opening opportunities for households, business and job growth.
- Globally, a move towards significantly greater use of solar energy is inevitable. In the last five years substantial momentum has been created, driven by falling production costs and escalating investment and policy commitments from major players.
- Solar will become a more and more important part of the Australian energy mix into the future. Greater demand for solar energy requires grid infrastructure to be upgraded to meet contemporary needs as the industry expands.
- Solar energy systems are poised to play an important role in tackling climate change.