The Climate Media Centre is a not-for-profit PR agency and spokesperson bureau for climate change.
An initiative of the Climate Council of Australia, we specialise in connecting journalists with people who are experiencing climate change impacts first-hand, as well as all the Australians coming up with innovative solutions.
We plan and execute strategic communications and train a diverse range of spokespeople: from firefighters, doctors and farmers to renewable energy entrepreneurs, economists and electric vehicle advocates.
The human cost of climate change is too great to ignore, and we believe that sharing compelling stories on this issue is a crucial part of shifting public debate.
In the coming months, there is an important opportunity to support an economic recovery that is conducive to both peoples’ livelihoods and climate action requirements.
- Full time – 1 year contract
- Location: Sydney, Canberra or Melbourne preferred
- Applications close 14th May
Reporting to the Director of the Climate Media Centre, you will be part of the team responsible for executing our high volume of media work across the country.
Key responsibilities of the role will include:
- Leading an exciting new project related to economics, energy and climate change
- Creating and executing well-thought out media strategies that have a big impact
- Developing and nurturing relationships with new and existing spokespeople, ensuring they are prepared for media interviews with formal training, and informal support and advice
- Staying on top of the news cycle (including finance, economic and political news) in order to identify good, reactive media opportunities and mobilise timely and interesting responses
- Fostering a network of media contacts nationally with an ability to match stories that appeal to various journalists
- Contributing to wider qualitative and quantitative research pieces on narrative and communications
- Up skilling other staff
- 5 or more years’ of demonstrated experience in business /finance /economic/political journalism and/or fast-paced media relations environment experience where deadlines matter
- Ability to quickly interpret complex financial and economic developments and simplify them for a broad audience
- A logical approach to combining data and context alongside an aptitude for words and numbers
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a wide variety of individuals and organisations.
- Ability to think outside the box when it comes to storytelling – matching new ideas quickly to the best audiences and channels
Favourable, but not essential:
- Previous experience working on environment or climate issues, but we do expect an understanding of the subject matter and a passion for work that matters.
- Previous experience in breaking or rolling news, online journalism, radio bulletins, or public relations that has an emphasis on reactive media work
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Journalism or related field
- Experience conducting narrative research and relaying findings in a succinct, concise manner
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
- Strong initiative and an ability to work without close supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience in understanding, then distilling complex issues for a lay audience
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment where circumstances & priorities can rapidly shift
- Strong communication, negotiation and influencing skills
- Strong understanding of the Australian media, financial and political landscapes
- Comfortable with regular (planned) travel and some early starts
Remuneration and Benefits
The role is offered on the following terms:
- Full-time position
- 6-12-month contract (with a possible option to extend)
- Competitive salary dependent on experience
- Sydney, Canberra or Melbourne location preferred – other locations considered
What else can we offer you
- Serious career development in a genuinely interesting field
- Genuine autonomy, and the opportunity to get involved in setting organisational strategy – as part of our team, we encourage you to bring your views to the table
- Regular mentoring and excellent learning and development opportunities both internally and externally
- A pleasant working environment – we’re results-focused but also supportive, vibrant, nimble and fun
- Programs for time off in lieu and flexible working
- The experience of working within a start-up style culture which is nimble, supportive and fun whilst being part of a larger and nationally recognised organisation with all the opportunities that it affords
How to apply
If you have any questions regarding the position please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Media Advisor (Finance and Economic focus)
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter of no more than 250 words outlining your relevant experience via this link.
Application close midnight 14th May