Volunteer role description:
- Work Type: Volunteer position
- Location: Remote working due to COVID-19. We have offices in Sydney and Melbourne that we’ll be returning to when we can!
About the Climate Council
The Climate Council of Australia is Australia’s leading climate change communications organisation. We provide authoritative, expert advice to the Australian public and key decision-makers on climate impacts and solutions based on the most up-to-date science available. Climate Council was founded in 2013 by thousands of Australians to create a new, independent and 100% community-funded organisation in response to the abolition of the Australian Climate Commission.
Our Vision, Mission and Values
Our vision is that by 2025 Australia’s emissions are on a steep downward trajectory with projects and policies in place to see us cut emissions by 75% by 2030 and achieve net zero by 2035. This represents a transformation in action and attitude from all levels of government, industry, business and community. It also fundamentally improves Australia’s contribution to the global climate challenge, while unlocking benefits/potential of the new economy, and protecting lives, well-being and the natural environment.
Our mission is to be a courageous catalyst propelling Australia towards bold, effective action to have emissions plummet during the 2020s and hit net zero by 2035.
- We are brave and bold
- We are hopeful and solutions focused
- We act with integrity and communicate honestly
We are looking for an enthusiastic and passionate person to volunteer with our digital content and social media team. You will be sourcing and creating content to share with our combined online community of over 500,000 Australians via social media, whilst learning the basics of effective climate communications through digital mediums.
Volunteering at the Climate Council is a great learning experience, a chance to meet new people and support our organisation.
- Sourcing and creating content for Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- Researching and curating the most important news stories of the day
- Writing social media copy
- Reporting and tracking content performance across Climate Council social media and other relevant organisations/spokespeople
- You’ve got a good eye for great content. You know what makes people click and how to find it, but you’re also up for creating original content
- You’ve got some experience using Photoshop and/or Canva. Though if you haven’t had much experience that’s okay! As long as you’re a fast learner and tech savvy, we’ll show you the ropes.
- You’re a good communicator. You can write punchy copy on often complex issues and love a good pun.
- You have a strong passion for climate change, sustainability or advocacy, and a personal drive to succeed. Proven ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment is a plus.
- Learn basic skills in communicating climate science, graphic design, and how to create compelling digital content
- Contribute to Australia’s fight against climate change, and learn from some of Australia’s leading climate change communicators
If this sounds like you, please send your CV and a short cover letter explaining why you’re interested in volunteering and what (if any) digital/content creation experience you might have to [email protected] with “Digital Content Volunteer” as the subject line.