- Annual salary of $85-$95K + super
- Full time, ongoing role
- Sydney or Melbourne-based preferred
About the Climate Council
The Climate Council of Australia is Australia’s leading climate change communications organisation. We provide authoritative, expert advice to the Australian public and key decision-makers on climate impacts and solutions based on the most up-to-date science available. Climate Council was founded in 2013 by thousands of Australians to create a new, independent and 100% community-funded organisation in response to the abolition of the Australian Climate Commission.
Our Vision, Mission and Values
Our vision is that by 2025 Australia’s emissions are on a steep downward trajectory with projects and policies in place to see us cut emissions by 75% by 2030 and achieve net zero by 2035. This represents a transformation in action and attitude from all levels of government, industry, business and community. It also fundamentally improves Australia’s contribution to the global climate challenge, while unlocking benefits/potential of the new economy, and protecting lives, well-being and the natural environment.
Our mission is to be a courageous catalyst propelling Australia towards bold, effective action to have emissions plummet during the 2020s and hit net zero by 2035.
- We are brave and bold
- We are hopeful and solutions focused
- We act with integrity and communicate honestly
About the Role
The role of Senior Researcher (Climate Solutions) offers an unrivalled opportunity for positive impact during the critical moment in Australia’s response to the climate crisis. Working alongside our expert Councillors and as part of our growing research team, you will be part of Australia’s premier group of climate solutions experts, climate scientists, health and climate security experts, economists and policy specialists. The Senior Researcher plays a leadership role in the development and delivery of Climate Council’s research agenda and organisational strategy on climate solutions, including undertaking cutting-edge research and preparing high-impact reports. The work of Climate council’s research team has unrivalled reach into Australia’s media cycle and the Australian public’s perception of climate change and its solutions.
The Senior Researcher reports to the Head of Research. It is a permanent position.
- Develop the research strategy and pipeline in alignment with the Climate Council Strategy, and in consultation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Produce accurate, high-quality, high-impact publications on an array of climate solutions (e.g. topics of energy, transport, clean industries and the new economy, with some focus on Queensland). This includes managing technical and scientific reviews of reports with relevant external experts to ensure a high level of integrity is embedded in our reports.
- In collaboration with the Campaigns team, develop policy recommendations for decision-makers arising from climate solutions research.
- Manage and coordinate reviews of relevant solutions literature, summarising key themes and concepts, including identifying key risks and translating this research into factual engaging content for a general audience.
- Provide support to other teams in the organisation, including the media, campaigns and community teams, to maintain the Climate Council’s well-earned reputation for providing frank, fearless, accessible, scientifically-robust climate information to the general public.
- Stay up-to-date with relevant climate solutions-related scientific, technical, policy and political developments.
- Represent the Climate Council publically and to decision makers. This may include through the media.
- Contribute positively to building the Climate Council culture and mission.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of 6 or more years’ of demonstrated experience in research, climate change/solutions and/or similar
- Excellent skills in developing and delivering strategic research plans
- Track record of excellent project and/or program management
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a wide variety of individuals and organisations
- Proven ability to work to tight deadlines
- Strong initiative and an ability to work autonomously
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to distil complex issues for a lay audience
- Ability to adapt and respond positively in circumstances where priorities need to shift quickly
Remuneration and Benefits
Remuneration and Benefits The Climate Council is Australia’s leading climate change communications organisation. This exciting and dynamic organisation will continue to be in the public eye, giving those involved an unrivalled opportunity to contribute to the public discourse on climate change. With exposure to some of the leading minds tackling climate change, this role is a unique opportunity.
- Annual salary of $85-$95K + super
- Ongoing role – a great opportunity to join a dynamic, growing team in a permanent position
- Sydney or Melbourne-based preferred (COVID-19 permitting, the role will be a combination of work from our Surry Hills office in Sydney / office in the Melbourne CBD and work-from-home)
- Excellent learning and development opportunities both internally and externally
- A strong work culture which is results focused but also vibrant, supportive, fun and nimble
- A dynamic organisation and experienced team
HOW TO APPLY
The Climate Council is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are strongly encouraged to apply for all advertised positions.
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter of no more than 250 words outlining your relevant experience HERE.
If you have any questions regarding the position please email us at [email protected], using the subject line: Senior Researcher (Climate Solutions) enquiry.
Applications close midnight 14th September 2021