- Full Time 12 Month Contract
- Sydney or Melbourne Location
THE CLIMATE COUNCIL
The Climate Council is Australia’s leading climate communications organisation. The Climate Council is seeking a talented, motivated and experienced Senior Communications Advisor preferably with an understanding of climate science and an ability to work across all climate issues.
The Senior Communications Advisor will be responsible for driving and coordinating the Climate Council’s day-to-day reactive media opportunities. Reporting to the Communications Director, this role requires an understanding of the political context in which the Climate Council operates. The successful candidate must be able to analyse complex problems, help to develop effective cut-through messaging and propose innovative and creative solutions. The Senior Communications Advisor will need to be a strategic thinker who can have an impact across a range of traditional and digital media.
- As a media professional with at least five years’ experience as a journalist or communications specialist in Australia, you will have excellent news judgement. As someone plugged into politics, you also have an ability to think strategically on complex issues and are able to stay one step ahead of the debate.
- You are a collaborator at heart who enjoys working with a small but high-performing media team to get results.
- You’ll have demonstrated experience in driving and coordinating media, with an emphasis on impact.
- You have good media contacts and a proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a wide variety of individuals and organisations. Key responsibilities include acting as a media liaison for the Climate Council.
- Ideally, you will have worked in highly political and contested spaces.
- You must be able to work to tight deadlines, have lots of initiative and an ability to work without close supervision.
- You will have experience in distilling complex issues for a lay audience.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment where circumstances & priorities can rapidly shift.
- You must be comfortable with some domestic travel and some early starts.
- Developing and nurturing relationships with Climate Councillors and other spokespeople (e.g. CEO and research team members) and ensuring they are prepared for media interviews with formal briefings, message development and informal support.
- Staying on top of the news cycle in order to identify reactive media opportunities and mobilise timely and interesting responses for the Climate Council.
- Creating and executing well-thought-out media strategies and messages that have a big impact across a range of traditional and digital media.
- Fostering a network of media and industry contacts throughout the country.
- Launching Climate Council reports including organising and running press conferences.
- Occasionally Tweeting on behalf of the Climate Council.
- Upskilling other staff
REWARDS AND BENEFITS
The Climate Council is an influential not-for-profit organisation and this exciting role will provide the perfect candidate access to some of the best and brightest minds working in climate science and communications, while also providing the opportunity to play a key role in shaping the national narrative on climate change and energy. This is your chance to shape the future for the better.
Additional benefits include:
- Excellent learning and development opportunities both internally and externally
- Programs for time off in lieu and flexible working arrangements
- Brilliant work culture which is results focused but also vibrant, supportive, fun and nimble.
This is a full time, 12-month contract. The position is ideally based in our centrally located Sydney office (would consider Melbourne office location) although Climate Council staff are still currently working from home. The role will involve some domestic travel for media launches and projects.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter of no more than 250 words outlining your relevant experience via the link below.
If you have any questions regarding the position please email us at [email protected], using the subject line: Senior Communications Advisor enquiry via EthicalJobs.
Applications close COB Friday 23rd October 2020