About the Climate Council
The Climate Council is Australia’s leading climate change communications organisation. We provide authoritative, expert advice to the public on climate change, energy and climate solutions and international action.
We’re made up of world class climate scientists, energy, health and policy experts, as well as a dedicated team of staff and a huge community of volunteers and supporters who support our work. As an independent, authoritative voice on climate change, we get climate stories into the media, produce hard-hitting reports, call out misinformation and support Australia’s shift to an economy powered by renewables.
Based in Melbourne or Sydney, this role is a fantastic opportunity for a smart, ambitious, go-getter to work for Australia’s premier climate communications outfit and learn skills across communications, digital engagement and research. The successful candidate will be hard-working, passionate about tackling climate change and excited about learning how to communicating complex issues in a fast moving, contested environment. The successful candidate will be at the start of their career having recently finished a tertiary qualification.
This unique opportunity will allow the graduate to receive a strong grounding in critical skills to be an effective communicator, researcher and campaigner. Key experience and skills you will develop include effective written communications, strategic thinking, crisis communications, media strategy, social media strategy, research and community engagement.
This exciting position will allow the successful candidate to develop new skills through three rotations between different teams (Media & Communications, Digital and Community & Fundraising), while simultaneously contributing to the Climate Council’s ongoing success.
Activities will include:
- Developing and writing media releases
- Media pitching
- Curating social media graphics and posts
- Writing web articles and blogs
- Conducting audience analysis and engagement strategies
- Data analysis and community insight reporting
- Researching and contributing to other written communications
- Assisting with fundraising campaigns
- Community Engagement activities including events management
- Supporter communications including copywriting and database management
- Marketing and Acquisition
The position is a one year contract commencing in February 2019 located in Sydney or Melbourne. At the end of the graduate program there may be opportunities for further employment.
Key Criteria, Skills and Eligibility
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Motivated, ambitious and committed to growth and learning.
- A long-term commitment to work in the climate change space.
- You’re a team player – always willing to get things done.
- Excellent results in your tertiary degree.
You must have the right to live and work (for the contract period) in this location to apply for this job.
The successful candidate will receive:
- $50,000 remuneration package for a full time role, including superannuation on a one year contract.
- Structured professional development and mentoring opportunities throughout the year.
Please submit a two-page resume, a cover letter and your tertiary degree transcript here.
To apply via email, or for more information, please email [email protected], using the subject line: Graduate role enquiry
Your cover letter should also include answers to the following questions:
- Why are you applying for this role? (answer in less than 100 words)
- What are your professional goals for the next 2-3 years? (answer in less than 100 words)
- Explain the link between extreme weather and climate change (answer in less than 200 words)
- Why does addressing climate change matter to you? (answer in less than 250 words)