Work type: 0.8 FTE; 9 month fixed-term contract (maternity leave cover)
Location: Melbourne or Sydney location
Annual Salary: $80k + super (pro-rata)
About Climate Council
The Climate Council of Australia is Australia’s leading climate change communications organisation. We provide authoritative, expert advice to the Australian public and key decision-makers on climate change and solutions based on the most up-to-date science available. Climate Council was founded in 2013 by thousands of Australians to create a new, independent and 100% community-funded organisation in response to the abolition of the Australian Climate Commission.
Our vision is that by 2025 Australia’s emissions are on a steep downward trajectory with projects and policies in place to see us cut emissions by 75% by 2030 and achieve net zero by 2035. This represents a transformation in action and attitude from all levels of government, industry, business and community. It also fundamentally improves Australia’s contribution to the global climate challenge, while unlocking benefits/potential of the new economy, and protecting lives, well-being and the natural environment.
Our mission is to be a courageous catalyst propelling Australia towards bold, effective action to have emissions plummet during the 2020s and hit net zero by 2035.
- We are brave and bold
- We are hopeful and solutions focused
- We act with integrity and communicate honestly
The Communications Advisor works closely with Climate Council spokespeople and subject matter experts (e.g. Councillors and members of the Research and Campaigns teams) to identify and pursue media opportunities. This role is crucial in ensuring Climate Council media coverage is optimised to increase brand awareness and achieve the organisation’s vision for plummeting emissions this decade. This role also undertakes analysis of and reporting on media activities to assess organisational impact.
The Communications Advisor reports to the Communications Director and has no direct reports.
The key responsibilities of the Communications Advisor role include:
- Prepare and implement end to end proactive media launch plans (including media alerts, media releases, developing key messaging and establishing target media outlets/personnel) that align with the Climate Council’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Stay across the news cycle to identify good, reactive media opportunities. Mobilise relevant, timely and interesting responses.
- Develop and nurture relationships with Climate Council spokespeople, including Councillors, ensuring they are prepared for media interviews with formal training, and informal support and advice.
- Develop and nurture national, metropolitan and regional media relationships to engage, and pitch and support media across media with national, metro and regional media across all relevant platforms.
- Support the development and execution of communication plans and strategic campaigns.
- Analyse and report on the performance of media activities against Climate Council strategic goals and objectives.
- Contribute positively to the Climate Council culture and act in accordance with Climate Council values.
Experience, skills, and qualifications
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a communications role.
- Proven experience and good judgement in handling and responding to media enquiries.
- Proven ability to execute media plans and activities, working independently or as part of a team.
- Experience formulating and executing original content ideas.
- Production and editing experience; you create engaging content, tailored to most effectively communicate with your target audience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A track record of building rapport and trust quickly with internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly developed time management, planning and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Confident troubleshooter and problem-solver; you make solutions-focused decisions when needed.
- Knowledge of or experience working with Australian media on matters relating to climate change, will be highly regarded.
- A tertiary qualification in Communications, Public Affairs or Journalism or equivalent experience.
- You’re passionate about tackling climate change. You care about driving down Australia’s greenhouse gas pollution and ramping up renewables.
Remuneration and Benefits
This exciting and dynamic organisation will continue to be in the public eye, giving those involved an unrivalled opportunity to contribute to the public discourse on climate change. With exposure to some of the leading minds tackling climate change, this role is a unique opportunity.
- 0.8 FTE, annual salary of $80k + super (pro-rata)
- 9 month fixed-term contract (maternity leave cover). 5 October 2021 – 1 July 2022.
- Melbourne or Sydney Location
- Split of working from home/working from our offices in either Melbourne CBD or Sydney Surry Hills.
- Excellent learning and development opportunities
- A strong work culture which is results focused but also supportive and nimble
- A dynamic organisation and experienced team
How to apply
The Climate Council is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, or political affiliation. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are strongly encouraged to apply for all advertised positions.
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter of no more than 250 words outlining your relevant experience here.
If you have any questions regarding the position please email us at [email protected]
Applications close midnight 2nd August 2021