Job posted on: 06 March 2019
- Casual Contract to June 2020
- Inner City Location
The Climate Council is Australia’s leading climate change communications organisation. We provide authoritative, expert advice to the public on climate change, energy and climate solutions and international action.
We’re made up of world-class climate scientists, energy, health and policy experts, as well as a dedicated team of staff and a huge community who support our work. As an independent, authoritative voice on climate change, we get climate stories into the media, produce hard-hitting reports, call out misinformation and support Australia’s shift to an economy powered by renewables.
The primary role of the Community Relations and Operations Officer will be to:
- Respond to a high volume and diverse range of community enquiries via email and telephone
- Support report distribution and engagement activities including coordinating political briefings for the research team
- Assist the Community and Operations teams with other ad hoc work as required, this may include event logistics, donor management and administrative support.
This is your chance to make an impact contributing to climate change action. This role provides a fantastic opportunity to use your skills in community relations for a cause you are passionate about. You will be working in the Community & Fundraising team.
This is a casual role, based in Surry Hills, Sydney until 30th June 2020 with the opportunity that this may be extended to next financial year based on need.
Hours: Estimated 22-24 hours per week working over 3 days with Tuesdays/Thursdays preferred but negotiable.
You will be recognised as someone that is client service orientated, very organised, shows a very high degree of initiative and has a “can do” attitude. You will pride yourself in communicating effectively and diplomatically to a diverse range of stakeholders and our community will rely upon you to have strong attention to detail.
1. Strong communications skills
- Professional, engaging and friendly communication style.
- The ability to assess a situation and confidently adapt your communication style to suit a variety of audiences and contexts
2. Strong planning and time management skills
- The ability to manage competing priorities with a high level of attention to detail
- Well established strategies for time management
3. Stakeholder engagement skills
- Excellent stakeholder engagement skills including diplomacy and conflict management.
- You will be able to confidently and tactfully navigate challenging conversations/questions received via phone and email and be calm under pressure if faced with aggressive or confrontational contact.
Additionally you will have:
- A relevant qualification that suits the role preferred but not essential
- At least two years experience in customer service, community relations, communications and/or fundraising
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent computer skills in Google and Microsoft Applications
- Knowledge of the Australian political landscape is desirable but not essential.
- Some knowledge on climate change impacts and solutions is advantageous
What we can offer
This is a part-time casual contract position until June 2020.
We offer an hourly rate of $32.50/hr+super and training in this role.
This role provides a great opportunity to work in Australia’s leading climate change communication organisation and learn from our team. We also offer a work location close to public transport in an inner city location in Surry Hills.
Please note that early applications are encouraged.