The Federal Government has announced a net zero by 2050 target. But this means little without a credible, concrete plan to slash emissions this decade.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Anything less than halving our emissions by 2030 means Australia will remain at the back of the pack, will keep fuelling devastating climate change, and will keep missing out on the economic opportunities of the global energy transition.
- A net zero target is fundamentally incompatible with new coal or gas – yet, the Federal Government is still funding fossil fuels.
- The Federal Government’s forecast of a 30-35% reduction in emissions by 2030 will change nothing, as it is not a step up in Australia’s ambition.
- The Federal Government is positioning this announcement as a win for rural and regional communities. But it is precisely these communities who will bear the brunt of delayed action, and who have the most to gain from acting.
- Nothing announced today changes the overall finding in the Climate Council report, released last Thursday, that placed Australia dead last among comparable nations.
Ahead of the next global climate conference, COP26, Australia is already under intense scrutiny from its international counterparts. Chip in a tax deductible donation today to crank up the pressure as we:
- Shift the national conversation to focus on urgent action this decade.
- Champion climate solutions like renewable energy and clean jobs.
- Push for decision-makers to end new coal and gas, which are fundamentally incompatible with a net zero target.
The Climate Council is an independent, community-funded organisation that relies on your generous support to power our campaigns. Donate today to strengthen our push for urgent climate action!
Donations over $2 are tax deductible. Please use our secure online form to donate via credit card, PayPal, Direct Deposit, or Cheque. A receipt will be emailed to you.
You can also make a donation via direct deposit. Please put your name in the reference when you make your direct deposit donation. For example, you might write “Joe Bloggs” or “J Bloggs” – it will make sure we can find your donation!
You can make your direct deposit to:
Account name: Climate Council of Australia Fund
BSB: 633-000 (Bendigo Bank)
Account Number: 153394051
Pay by Cheque
Please make your cheque out to Climate Council of Australia Fund and send your cheque to:
The Climate Council of Australia
PO Box 1267
Potts Point NSW 2011