- Full-time position, Contract
- Melbourne or Sydney based
The Climate Council is Australia’s leading climate communications The Climate Council is seeking a talented, motivated and experienced Senior Advisor - Media and Stakeholder Engagement with excellent stakeholder engagement and strategy skills as well as an understanding of climate science and an ability to work across all climate issues, including solutions and international action.
The Climate Council of Australia is seeking a talented, motivated and experienced communications and media professional who will be responsible for driving and coordinating the Climate Council’s day-to-day strategic reactive and proactive media opportunities, while also building on and managing your existing stakeholder/key influencer and media relationships. Ideally, you will also have strategy development expertise.
You will be passionate about breaking news, climate change and the energy debate, with at least five years experience as a journalist or communications professional in Australia. You will play a crucial role in shaping the public discourse on climate change as part of a small and dynamic communications team, working inside the fast-paced news environment. You will possess exceptional news sense, editing skills, content development and strategic communication and engagement abilities, with key responsibilities including coordinating and advising on media strategies and acting as a media liaison for the Climate Council.
Key Components Include:
- Developing and nurturing relationships with Climate Councillors and ensuring they are prepared for media interviews with formal briefings, message development and informal support.
- Staying on top of the news cycle in order to identify good, reactive media opportunities and mobilise timely and interesting responses for the Climate Council.
- Creating and executing well-thought out media and communications strategies and messages that have a big impact.
- Fostering a network of media and industry contacts throughout the country, keeping your finger on the pulse when it comes to breaking news and media opportunities.
A seasoned journalist or communications professional, you’ll have demonstrated experience in driving and co-ordinating an effective reactive media program and/or managing an effective media advocacy program on a highly political and contested issue. You’ll have an ability to think outside the box when it comes to finding new ways of telling the climate change and energy story, and matching those ideas with new audiences and channels. You’ll have a proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a wide variety of individuals and organisations and be able to enhance Climate Council engagement with key influencers.
Broadcast journalism skills and experience in a political office will be viewed favourably.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
Excellent interpersonal skills:
- Capacity to develop and maintain strong relationships with key influencers (e.g. policymakers, business leaders), journalists, editors, producers and influencers.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills.
- Capacity to nurture and develop media talent.
- Demonstrated capacity to comprehend complex issues, think strategically and adapt to changing circumstances.
Exemplary communications skills:
- At least five years’ experience as a journalist at an Australian media outlet and/or as a communications/PR specialist.
- An excellent operational understanding of the Australian media and political landscape, and challenges of communicating complex issues to the public.
- Exceptional writing skills, including the ability to write for a broad range of audiences and channels within tight timelines.
- Strategic development experience.
Personal drive and integrity:
- Entrepreneurial flair that will drive a need and desire to succeed.
- The ability to meet multiple deadlines, producing high quality work in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to identify and achieve work objectives with minimal supervision.
You are a doer and a leader.
- We are a small team so you must be a doer, as well as a strategic thinker. In any one day you will be writing media releases, providing advice to spokespeople, developing key messages, reviewing content to delivering communications projects, strategic development or developing communications guides - and more.
Rewards and Benefits
As Senior Advisor - Media and Stakeholder Engagement at the Climate Council you will be joining Australia’s leading climate and energy communications organisation, tasked with informing Australians, journalists and policymakers about the latest climate change and energy facts and information.
The Climate Council is an influential not-for-profit organisation and this exciting role will provide the perfect candidate access to some of the best and brightest minds working in climate science and communications, while also providing the opportunity to play a key role in shaping the national narrative on climate change and energy. This is your chance to shape the future for the better.
A competitive package will be agreed with the successful candidate subject to experience.
Additional benefits include:
- Excellent learning and development opportunities both internally and externally
- Programs for time off in lieu, flexible working arrangements and paid parental leave ( after 12 months service)
- Brilliant culture which is results focused but also vibrant, supportive, fun and nimble
Essential Selection Criteria - For Candidates to Answer with Application
- Demonstrated stakeholder engagement skills with a focus on media advocacy.
- Demonstrated experience producing copy and media content across a variety of communication channels in short timeframes.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise and coordinate media across a diverse range of platforms including TV, radio, print and online.
- Proven understanding of current climate and energy policy in Australia (state and federal).
- Proven understanding of the Federal parliamentary and legislative process in Australia.
- Demonstrated experience successfully pitching to media and influencers.
- Demonstrated high level experience developing successful communication strategies.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritise work and competing deadlines, along with managing and coordinating stakeholders including journalists and talent.
This is a full time position on contract for one year (with a possibility of a permanent role after contract completed) and the position is ideally based in our centrally located Melbourne or Sydney office. The role will involve mainly domestic travel.
How to apply for this job
To apply for this position please submit your cover letter and CV to [email protected], using the subject line: Senior Advisor – Media and Stakeholder Engagement.